Saint Jacob Church


Before 1937, a pile-dwelling settlement from the Neolithic period was found during peat works in the Gingster pastoral bog. 3 m long pointed poles were pulled out of the bog, several vessels and shards of finds were secured, stone tools were found but not preserved. The vessels, however, were very noteworthy. Prof. Petzsch (Uni Greifswald) did the excavation and securing in 1937.

Replica of the Euro Academy Bamberg

Replica The Leaning Tower of Pisa
Rügenpark is an amusement park in Gingst on the Baltic Sea island of Rügen. Open only from April to early November, the park is one of the smaller amusement parks in Germany. The area of the park covers 40,000 m² on the outskirts of Gingst.


The village of Ghynxt was first mentioned in a document in 1232. Along with Garz and Bergen, it belonged to the most important market towns on Rügen and was an important center of craftsmen, especially the damask weaving of the island.
The place was part of the Principality of Rügen until 1326 and then of the Duchy of Pomerania. With the Peace of Westphalia in 1648, Rügen and thus the area of Gingst became part of Swedish Pomerania. In 1815, Gingst became part of the Prussian province of Pomerania as part of Neuvorpommern.

As early as 1774, Provost Johann Gottlieb Picht abolished serfdom for the portion of Gingst belonging to the Preposition (half of the village).

In the history of the municipality, major fires have occurred repeatedly; in 1726 and most recently in 1950, Gingst was almost completely destroyed. On August 25, 1950, the village went up in flames and, aided by the wind direction and widespread thatched roofs, a total of 38 residential buildings were destroyed. Since May 1, 1976, a memorial stone on the market square commemorates this fire and the unique reconstruction effort involving 10,000 members of the FDJ and other helpers. It was created by the Stralsund sculptor Hans-Peter Jaeger. Four bronze reliefs show scenes of the fire and the reconstruction.
Since 1818 Gingst belonged to the district or county of Rügen. Only in the years from 1952 to 1955 it belonged to the district of Bergen. After that, the municipality belonged to the district of Rügen in the Rostock district until 1990, when it became part of the state of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. The district of Rügen, which has been so designated again since 1990, merged into the district of Vorpommern-Rügen in 2011.

Since 1994, the historic town center has been extensively redeveloped within the framework of urban development promotion.

Source: Wikipedia

Translated with: DeepL

Island of Rügen in public sources

Information about the island of Rügen.

Zum Anfang der Seite