Baltic seaside resort Baabe

Gate to the Mönchgut
he Baltic resort Baabe, a health resort in the southeast of the Baltic Sea island of Rügen, is located between the Baltic Sea resorts Sellin and Goehren on the peninsula Mönchgut. The town lies on the Mönchgraben, the historical border that separates the Mönchgut peninsula from the rest of the island of Rügen, between the Baltic Sea and the Baaber Beek (connecting ditch between Lake Sellin and Having) and the forests of the Baaber Heide. The federal road 196 and the narrow-gauge railroad Rasender Roland pass through Baabe. The Mönchgut Gate spans the B 196 at the level of the Mönchgraben. From 1920 to 1927 the avenue to the Baltic Sea beach, which today characterizes the village, was built.

The village was first mentioned in a document in 1252. However, the destroyed megalithic tomb Spukbusch west of the village testifies to a much older settlement history. Baabe, like the entire Mönchgut peninsula, was owned by the Cistercian monastery of Eldena near Greifswald until 1535. Until the middle of the 19th century Baabe consisted of only one farm with several Büdner and Häuslerstellen.

Moritzdorf ferry
The Moritzdorf ferry is a passenger ferry across the Baaber Bek on the island of Rügen in Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania. It connects the district of Moritzdorf, which belongs to the municipality of Sellin, to the west of the Baaber Bek with the Baaber Bollwerk in the municipality of Baabe to the east. Without a ferry, an eight-kilometre diversions around Lake Sellin to the north would have to be taken. The ferry is a wooden rowing boat that is rowed by the ferryman across the Baaber Bek, which is only about 50 metres wide. The ferry has room for a maximum of 15 passengers and is one of the smallest ferries in Germany. Bicycles and prams can also be taken across. The ferry service has existed since 1891, when it was first owned by the merchant Martin Looks. Although there were plans to build a bridge from 1887 onwards, these were not realised. Within the year-round ferry times, the ferry operates according to demand. Ferry passengers summon the ferry by striking a metal pipe or shouting. A mobile phone number is also posted. In the past, there was a bell pull to call the ferryman.

Thatched houses
Reet (also Reeth, Reth, Reith, Ried, Riet and similar; cf. Middle High German riet "reed, reedbed"), also called cane, refers to the reed growing on banks or on marshy terrain, which in many places is used in a dried state for roofing and in earlier times served many similar purposes, such as for embroidering new dykes with the dyke needle. Thatching is considered to be one of the oldest handicraft techniques in house building.In addition to the term thatched roof, terms such as cane roof or reed roof are also used more rarely and in relation to the landscape. Houses covered with thatch are also called Reethaus or Reethus or Reetdachhaus.
The craft of thatching was submitted to UNESCO as an intangible cultural heritage by the state of Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania and confirmed as such in 2014.

The village church of Baabe is the Protestant church of the Baltic Sea resort of Baabe on the island of Rügen. Initially, the small village of Baabe belonged to the parish of Middelhagen, about four kilometres away, and the St. Katharinen church there. At the end of the 19th/beginning of the 20th century, Baabe began to develop into a Baltic seaside resort. Particularly for the increasing number of bathers, the priest Medenwald introduced open-air services in Baabe. However, this was followed by plans to build a permanent church. The foundation stone was laid on 11 July 1929. The design for the church came from the Berlin architect Erhard Schmidt, who had been a regular visitor to the resort for years. The building work was carried out by the local building contractor Albert Ewert. The topping-out ceremony was celebrated on 20 September 1929, the inauguration on 24 June 1930.
The church received three bells with the inscriptions "O land, land, hear the word of the Lord", "Be reconciled to God" and "All that has breath, praise the Lord".


The village was first mentioned in a document in 1252. Until the middle of the 19th century, Baabe consisted of only one farm with several bidders' and cottagers' places. In 1895/96, a simple bath with a bathing jetty was built. Baabe has been accommodating bathers since the end of the 19th century. The avenue leading to the Baltic Sea beach, which today characterises the village, was built between 1920 and 1927. The first small pier was built in 1923, but soon fell victim to the swell. A new, approximately 200 m long pier was built between 1932 and 1934. However, it was destroyed by ice in 1942. Today there are only piers in Sellin and Göhren. The beach in Baabe is wide and fine sandy and not overcrowded even in the high season. Active holidaymakers find their field of activity here with surfing, kiting or sailing. Baabe shines with its unique location in the midst of protected nature on the Mönchgut peninsula between the Baltic Sea and the Bodden. The seaside resort architecture is not quite as pronounced as in other seaside resorts. Some of the historic houses from the early days as a seaside resort have been lovingly restored in recent years. There are also many old-style houses with thatched roofs. But not only bathing, also cycling, hiking and horseback riding is possible around Baabe.

Translated with: DeepL

Rügen Island in public sources

Information about the island of Rügen.


(Source: Wikivoyage)

To the top of the page